Preparations

Getting the Bike ready

Concern over break downs and near impossibility of repair along the way combined with my neurotic worry set me on a course to put everything in top order prior to this level of ride.  To that end, I had the wheel shop mount new tires; true and balance the wheels.  I changed the rear brakes and investigated a long-standing cracking problem on the rear fender.  Giving up on the custom paint job, I ground the paint away from every crack I could find, only to discover nine cracks.  JP Cycles had just one last rear fender from the Indian company liquidation.  It arrived with a BIG dent.  So now I had to learn hammer and  dolly work and custom painting to get a matching fender.  It took a very long time but I got it done.  I had been having trouble using the turn signals since we bought the bike and the low beam wire burned off the controller recently .  This required a hot wire job to get the headlight to work, leaving me without high beam.  So I ordered a new wiring controller and set about to completely replace the entire wiring harness.  While I was at it, the alarm I installed in 2000 had basically fallen to pieces so I ordered a new  top of the line Scorpio alarm system.  Adding all this required fabricating mounts, routing terminating and wrapping all the wiring plus the addition of interfaces for the indicator lights and special brake lights.  An added anti- reversion cone to the exhaust to stablize the tuning of an all-too hot cam.  For reliability, I had to take out the oil tank to rebuild the doggy starter.  Handling was improved by completely tearing apart the front forks and adjusting the valving and replacing the oil.  I also removed and replaced the steering head bearings.  Lastly, I replaced the carbarator float valve and installed an improved engine breather system.  This preride rework cost us about $2500;  ouch.   


Copyright Ken adkison